Visitor visa - passport in maiden name

My cousin has invited me to his wedding, and I got married October 31 2009. The thing is this - my current passport is not in my married name, can I just apply for the visitors visa with my current passport and bring my marriage certificate as proof of marriage? My current passport will be expiring in 2012.

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

There is no US law (that I can think of) requiring you to change your passport right away. I think you can travel. But eventually you should get it all corrected. Change to married name is not required, but I think the passport should accurately reflect marital status.

Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on

Add new comment