Visa Categories Not Using the DS-160

Are there any visa categories for which I should not fill out the DS-160?

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

Yes. If you are applying for a visa in any of the categories below, you should complete the DS-156, not the DS-160. You must also complete the DS-156K if you are applying for a K-1 visa.  If required, you should also complete the DS-157 and DS-158.

Visa Symbol                          Category

K-1                                  Fiancé(e) of a U.S. Citizen

K-2                                  Child of a K-1

K-3                                  Spouse of a U.S. Citizen

K-4                                  Child of a K-3


Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on

Add new comment