Transfer of jobs under same employer

I am working for a newspaper in the U.S. as a designer under the H1-B visa. I might be taking up a job as a reporter at the same newspaper in the same location for the same salary. The only thing that would change would be my job profile. What are the USCIS formalities involved in this particular situation? Would my employer have to file a whole new I-129? Would the entire petition process have to be undertaken again?

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

The employer will have to file for an H-1B amendment. It is like doing an H-1 all over again, but the fees can be a lot lesser.

Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on

Add new comment