Resigning Under L-1 Visa

1. I am currently on an L-1 visa but I am thinking of resigning my job. I have an Australian passport, so if I do so could I just change my status to the Visa Waiver Program or would I need to physically exit and re-enter the country? 2. If I subsequently wish to stay longer than 90 days under the visa waiver program, am I able to simply exit and re-enter the country to restart the 90 day period?

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

1. You will have to exit and reenter OR apply for a change of status to USCIS.

2. This is not guaranteed to work. CBP can decline second entry if they wish.

Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on

Add new comment