L-2 Visa

Recording of Free Community Conference Call (Every Other Thursday), 25 February 2016

Citizenship and Naturalization

Substantial transcription for video

Topics for Discussion, Thursday, 25 February 2016:
FAQ: Can I travel during the pendency of my (B-1, B-2 extension, H-1, H-4, H-4 EAD, L-1, L-2, I-130, I-140, I-485, I-485, Advance Parole, Reentry Permit etc.) case? When should I join my future green card employer, also recapturing time on L-1B; Can a denied H-1B petition make you cap exempt; Special immigration options for UK citizens; How to correct errors on a submitted Form DS-260.

Other: Effect of abandoned change of status from F-2 to F-1; Time for non-premium processing of H-1B employer transfer and process for H-4; Green card or status for autistic son; CSPA for family-based children and disclosing pending immigration application when applying for a student visa; Changing employers after I-140; OCI; The new I-140 regulations; Status when H-1 is denied; Options for addressing H-1 processing delays; Affidavit of support from a person domiciled outside the USA; H-1B extensions based upon old employer’s I-140; Cross chargeability; H-1B quota exemption, etc.

Recording of Community Conference Call (Every Other Thursday), 2015, June 15


Immigration Law

Substantial transcription for video

Discussed: CSPA for EB-3 to EB-2; H-1B amendments; Marriage on B-2 visa/H-4; Consequences of travel without advance parole; Following to join process; H-1B liquidated damages contracts; Moving temporarily abroad while I-485 is pending; Relocation while green card is pending; Checking which MSA we are in; What is an H-1 amendment? Getting student visa while green card pending; L-2 EAD, etc.

Recording for February 15, 2024 Conference Call with Rajiv S. Khanna

FAQs: Blacklisted employer, F-1, H-1B, L-1 turned back at the airport || H-1B visa and entrepreneurship: Launching a business with US citizen brother, Shareholding, Green card || National Interest Waiver standards; AI list of critical and emerging technologies focus || OPT EAD errors and typos: Eligibility for resubmission or renewal strategy? || How to calculate time: H-1B grace period; H-4 COS; H-1B transfer delays

Recording for August 10, 2023 Conference Call with Rajiv S. Khanna



Immigration Law

FAQs: Job loss situation - Alternatives and return options for H-1B visa holders with approved I-140 || Remote work for a U.S. startup: Starting off on managerial duties from India before L-1 visa filing

Transitioning from H-1B to I-485 GC EAD: maintaining status and re-employment considerations

Question details

I have received my GC EAD based on my dependent status and am currently on an H-1B visa. However, the project I am working on will soon come to an end.

Do I still need to maintain my H-1B status, or will I automatically be in GC EAD status if I stop maintaining H-1B?

If I take a break from work while on GC EAD and then resume working after a 3-4 month period, will my immigration status be unaffected?


Video URL
FAQ Transcript

It is recommended to maintain the H-1, H-4, L-1, L-2, etc., statuses because it provides an additional layer of protection in case of any government errors or complications with the I-485 situation. If, for any reason, the government mistakenly or intentionally targets your I-485 application, having an H-1B to fall back on can be advantageous. The H-1B status remains intact and offers continued benefits. 

On the other hand, the EAD (Employment Authorization Document), unlike H-1B, grants you the freedom to choose whether to work, not work, work multiple jobs, or even start your own business. However, there are certain limitations to consider. Interestingly, the derivative beneficiary, which refers to your spouse, may have more rights under the EAD compared to your own. It's important to exercise caution and be mindful of these distinctions.


Options for Nonimmigrant Workers Following Termination of Employment

Release Date 

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is providing information for nonimmigrant workers whose employment has terminated, either voluntarily or involuntarily. These workers may have several options for remaining in the United States in a period of authorized stay based on existing rules and regulations.