DS-160 FAQs

Status and Unlawful Presence Questions in the Form DS-160

Authored on: Wed, 09/27/2017 - 07:27


Having plans to travel to India in last week of Sept 17 and with my visa stamp on passport expiring on 1st Sept 2017, need to go for visa interview & when I am filling my DS-160, came across the question : Have you ever been unlawfully present, overstayed the amount of time granted by an immigration official or otherwise violated the terms of a U.S. visa? Considering the above situation, could you please help with what to answer Yes/No. If Yes, what comments to be written in the EXPLAIN BOX .


Watch the Video on this FAQ: Status and unlawful presence questions in the form DS-160

Video Transcript

This is a very generic statement. Do not depend on this as the last word on the subject. Generally speaking, the following two or three rules should be kept in mind. First of all, if you are ever in doubt you are better off saying yes, I was out of status and yes, I was unlawfully present and let the consulate deal with that issue. If you are not in fact not out of status and you are not unlawfully present there is no issue, but if you were out of status or lawfully present and you don't reveal that it can be construed to be fraud or misrepresentation which then becomes a permanent bar from entering the United States. It is a very painful situation. If you tell the truth, no issue.  More...


Note: This is a verbatim transcript of the referenced audio/video media delivered as oral communication, and, therefore, may not conform to written grammatical or syntactical form.

Visa Categories Not Using the DS-160

Authored on: Fri, 07/29/2011 - 06:06


Are there any visa categories for which I should not fill out the DS-160?


Yes. If you are applying for a visa in any of the categories below, you should complete the DS-156, not the DS-160. You must also complete the DS-156K if you are applying for a K-1 visa.  If required, you should also complete the DS-157 and DS-158.

Visa Symbol                          Category

K-1                                  Fiancé(e) of a U.S. Citizen

K-2                                  Child of a K-1

K-3                                  Spouse of a U.S. Citizen

K-4                                  Child of a K-3


Treaty Trader or Treaty Investor, E Visa Applicants

Authored on: Tue, 07/26/2011 - 23:03


I am applying for a Treaty Trader/Treaty Investor, E Visa. Do I need to fill out the DS-160 and the DS-156E?


It depends. If you are a Treaty Investor (E-2) applicant, you need only complete the DS-160. If you are a Treaty Trader (E-1) or an Executive/Manager/Essential Employee (E-1 or E-2), you must complete the DS-160, and you or your employer must complete the paper DS-156E form.

Alter Family or Group Applications

Authored on: Tue, 07/26/2011 - 23:01


If I use the option on the "Thank You" page to create a family or group application, can I modify the data automatically populated by the system?


Yes. If one of the dependents has a different surname or nationality, for example, you can alter that data before submitting the application.

Family or Group Applications

Authored on: Tue, 07/26/2011 - 22:59


I am traveling with my family or as part of a group. Can I create a family or group application?


Yes. On the “Thank You” page you will see an option to create a family or group application. When you select this option, certain information from your application, such as destination, will automatically be imported to and displayed on a new application. Please note that if you use this option you must create an individual application for each family member or for each individual within the group.

Reprint the confirmation page

Authored on: Tue, 07/26/2011 - 22:57


I submitted my online DS-160 application, but lost my confirmation page. Can I print a new one?


Yes, you can reprint the confirmation page of an application that has already been submitted. In order to do so, go into the Consular Electronic Application Center website and select the Embassy or Consulate at which you are applying. Hit “Option C-Retrieve Application” on the Getting Started page and enter your application ID number. From there you will be able to view and print your confirmation page.

DS-160 Confirmation Page

Authored on: Tue, 07/26/2011 - 22:55


Should I bring my entire application or just the confirmation page with me to the interview?


You are not required to bring your entire application. For your interview, you are required to bring your confirmation page with your application ID number on it so we can retrieve your DS-160. You must bring the confirmation page with you during all phases of the application process. Without the confirmation page, we may not be able to process your visa case.

Scheduling a new appointment after completing DS-160

Authored on: Tue, 07/26/2011 - 22:53


After I have corrected or completed my DS-160 application, do I need to schedule a new appointment or return to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate?


Contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you applied for specific instructions.

Correcting Answers on a Submitted DS-160

Authored on: Tue, 07/26/2011 - 22:49


The U.S. Embassy or Consulate where I went for my visa interview denied my application because my DS-160 contained errors or was incomplete. What does this mean and what do I need to do next?


DS-160 applications submitted before April 1, 2010 cannot be reopened, and therefore, you must complete and submit a new DS-160.The Embassy or Consulate should reopen your DS-160 submitted after April 1, 2010 if your application is denied for this reason and ask you to correct it, as explained below:
DS-160 applications submitted on or after November 1, 2010: Enter your application ID number and answer additional questions as prompted to access and correct your application. 
DS-160 applications submitted on or after April 1, 2010, but before November 1, 2010: Enter your barcode or confirmation number into the Application ID field and answer additional questions as prompted to access and correct your application.

DS-160 confirmation page and uploading photo

Authored on: Tue, 06/21/2011 - 01:05


The confirmation page has an "X" in the box where the photo should be. What does that mean?


That means that the photo upload failed. Therefore, you should submit one printed photograph meeting our requirements, along with the online DS-160 confirmation page, to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate at which you plan to apply for your visa. Please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you are applying for specific instructions on how to do this. See the print photo format found in the Nonimmigrant Photograph Requirements for more information. If the confirmation page includes a photo image, then the photo upload function was successful and no separate print photograph is required.