Rules are strictly followed here. Only thing we need to wait for a long time.. This is what I did to correct my name everywhere
1. April 2005 - FNU - Passport, Visa
2. July 2005 - because of this SSN got delayed for 4 months and received with FNU
3. July 2005 - DMV refused to give license, because they cannot give license with FNU.
4. July 2005 - Enquired local newspapers in Philly - They told that I need to get court order number
5. July 2005 - Went to court, they said that I need to show proof of my residence for 6 months, and should contact attorney for name change.
6. August 2005 - Talked to attorneys - they said I need to give 100 $ consulatation + actual charges of name change
7. August 2005 - I have decided to give up, but at last try, I have enquired with Desi newspapers in NJ for name change advertisement. They agreed to give advertisement with 40 $ charge
8. September 2005 - I gave the ad in NJ, and in Chennai India.
9. September 2005 - Went to Indian Embassy NYC, they said, I need to wait for 1 month time after ad date(b cos somebody will object for this name change... I dont know how they will come to know, if somebody objects!!)
10. October 2005 - I applied for Passport Name change
11. October 2005 - Received with proper lastname, firstname in passport after 3 weeks time
12. November 2005 - With this I went to SSN office for name change
13. December 2005 - I got the SSN with changed name
14. In the mean time, everywhere my name went as FNU Siva(Insurance, Bank Acct, Utility bills, Pay Check, etc..)
15. December 2005 - Initiated everywhere to change my name
16. December 2005 - Applied for Driving License -
17. January 2006 - Failed 2 times in road test - (I need to unlearn my aggressive car driving habit learned over 2 years in India..
18. 03- February 2006 - Today I have passed my road test and received my license, W2 forms, Insurance card and other documents with my changed name...Got relieved from FNU everywhere!!!..
The whole process took me 10 months time (purchased car in December 2005 only after correcting everywhere)...
Lessons learned : Don't give up. Follow the system, Dont have to break the rules to get your things done...
Thank you buddies!! Have a great week end!!!