Green Card for Physicians

Physicians seeking a permanent employment opportunity in the United States and employers seeking to sponsor a physician for lawful permanent residency based on permanent employment in the United States must go through a multi-step process.

Foreign nationals and employers must determine whether the foreign national is eligible for lawful permanent residency under one of several, acceptable paths to lawful permanent residency.

Two-Year Home Residency Requirement

Question details

Let’s say that a J-2 visa holder enters the United States as a derivative of a J-1 principal who is subject to the two-year home residency requirement of INA 212(e). Without leaving the United States, she later changes status from J-2 to J-1. The J-1 program in which she participates as the principal is also subject to INA 212(e). Thus, the person is independently subject to INA 212(e) based on two separate programs – her husband’s (as a J-2 derivative) and her own (as a J-1 principal). Please confirm that this person may file a single DS-3035 form that includes all DS-2019s from both programs and receive a single waiver covering both programs.

In this situation, the applicant’s J-1 waiver does not cover her period in J-2 status. 9 FAM 41.62 states that if an alien is subject to the two-year foreign residence requirement, the spouse and child of that alien are also subject to that requirement. Thus, the individual you have described would need a separate waiver to cover the time that she spent in J-2 status that subjected her to the two-year home residency requirement.Two separate DS-3035 applications would therefore be required in this circumstance.

Withdrawal of a Pending J‐1 waiver

Question details

What procedure should a J‐1 waiver applicant follow in requesting withdrawal of a pending J‐1 waiver application?

A waiver applicant who has a pending waiver application in the State Department’s Waiver Review Division (WRD) should send an email to WRD via FMJvisas@state.gov to request withdrawal of a pending case. WRD updates the applicant’s case file and posts the withdrawal request on its online status checking system on http://travel.state.gov.

DOS Announces Assistant Sec. Of State for Consular Affairs Has Authority To Waive a Visa Interviews

[Federal Register Volume 77, Number 168 (Wednesday, August 29, 2012)]
[Pages 52379-52380]
From the Federal Register Online via the Government Printing Office [www.gpo.gov]
[FR Doc No: 2012-21326]


[Delegation of Authority No. 344]

Delegation by the Secretary of State to the Assistant Secretary
of State for Consular Affairs the Authority to Determine That it is
Necessary To Waive a Visa Interview as a Result of Unusual or Emergent

Guestbook Entry for GV, United States

United States

The information Mr. Khanna provided was very helpful. I was scheduled for a phone conference appointment for no cost since I am a student. He is definitely a great person who really makes an effort to sort out others issues. I wanted to make sure that the statement of reason for application of the waiver for the two-year home country physical presence requirement of the J-1 visa, was a strong reason, so he asked me more question about my J-1 program to figure out a better reason for the application which turned out being a better one than the one I was thinking about.

Nonimmigrant waiver

Question details

I recently abandoned the US for Canada. I had been living in the US illegally for 15 years (since the age of 11). I got an opportunity to conduct biological research at the University of Alberta, AB, and Canada. I'm fully funded to live in Canada by the institution. Anyway, I would like to return to the US in 2013 for my 10 year high school reunion. I would like to know how likely I would be to get a tourist visa given my recent history. I have no intentions of staying in the US, just visiting. Am I automatically banned?

Look into a 212(d)(3) waiver, which should allow you an entry. Ask CBP at the border how much time they need to process the waiver (usually a few weeks).

WRD (Waiver Review Division) and Waiver Application Issues

Certain exchange visitors (J-1) are subject to a two-year home-country physical presence requirement which requires you to return to your home country for at least two years at the end of your exchange visitor program. This is also known as the foreign residence requirement under U.S. law, Immigration and Nationality Act, section 212(e).

J-1 visa waiver concerns

Question details

I had come to US in September 2008 for 30 days externship (as short term visiting scholar) on J1 visa. After that I went back to India in October and came again in January 2009 on F1 visa to do PhD in animal science program. My concern is do I need to apply for J1 waiver before joining a job or a post doc here in USA? If yes, how should I go about it?

The 212(e) can attach to even a short program. Step one, ask DOS for an advisory opinion whether you are subject to the Home Residency Requirement. The detailes are here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_1288.html

J-1 Waiver Pending

Question details

I applied for my waiver in Aug 09 from the US and sent completed DS 3035 to the Waiver Review Div. in St. Louis, MO and Indian Embassy in DC. I returned to India in Sept 09.I have not had any updates since then. I would like to know (1) If I have missed any steps and if that is the reason why my waiver status remains unchanged (2) If I HAVE TO and can still apply for the NORI and obtain my waiver since I already have my case number and barcode (3) If I apply for the NORI from India, where do I send the Statement and Affidavit for attestation? (4)Are there any additional steps for waiver from India?

Contact the Waiver Review branch in USDOS first. Figure out what is going on with your pending case. You cannot apply for more than one type of waiver at the same time.