A citizen of a foreign country, who wishes to enter the United States, generally must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay, or an immigrant visa (green card) for permanent residence. The type of visa required is defined by immigration law, and relates to the purpose of travel.

In which country must I apply for a US visa?

Question details

My name is Harendra having H-1B and an Indian national , I want to file H-4 for my wife who is a Srilankan national with Srilankan passport , living in India legally with my parents after marriage for the past three months. Can she apply her H-4 from India or she needs to go back to her native country to apply ?
Is there any rule for spouse applying visa from primary applicant's country of residence?

See clip from Attorney Rajiv S. Khanna's conference call video that addresses this question.

FAQ Transcript:

H-1B Visa stamping in general and in third countries like Canada

Question details

My H1B petition got approved through my existing employer and became effective 10/01/14 (I was on F1 OPT before). Where am I eligible to go to for doing first time H1B stamping, other than my home country (Russia) – can it be done in Canada, Mexico, or other countries? I have Masters from an American university, and over a year of working experience in the US. Also I’ve heard that starting June Canada has suspended doing first time H1B stamping, can you please provide any clarification, and also could you please advise what all options are available to me?

DOS Notice of New Visa Fees Effective from 9/12/2014

Important Notice - New Application Fees: Nonimmigrant and immigrant visa application fees for certain visa categories will change on September 12, 2014. All visa applicants must pay the fee amounts in effect on the day they pay, with the exception of Immigrant Visa application processing fees paid domestically to the National Visa Center (NVC), which will be effective as of the date of billing.

Fees that will decrease are not refundable. If you paid a visa fee before September 12, 2014 and that fee decreased, we cannot give you a refund.

Waiver of Visa Fees for 2014 Special Olympics Summer Games - DOS

Deputy Secretary Burns has authorized a waiver of application (i.e., MRV) and visa issuance (i.e., reciprocity) fees for participants in the 2014 Special Olympics Summer Games Invitational taking place in Los Angeles, CA, from June 6 to 8, 2014, and the 2015 Special Olympics World Summer Games taking place in Los Angeles, CA, from July 25 to August 2, 2015.