B-2 Visa

B-1/B-2 Extension for Autistic Child

Our office was retained to file a B-1/B-2 extension on behalf of a 34-year old male who was diagnosed with autism and requires ongoing supervision and monitoring. He is dependent on his mother, a permanent resident of the US, who is his legal guardian and only source of care. His father is a resident of Botswana.  Botswana regulations do not make provisions for a child above the age of 21 to reside in the country as a dependent. Even in the US, regulations do not consider children over the age of 21 to be dependents of their parents.

CBP requirements for a B-2 visitor

Question details

While previous presence in the U.S. is a relevant factor in determining whether an alien maintains a residence abroad that he or she has no intention of abandoning, isn't it true that inspecting CBP officers should not focus solely on the amount of time an individual has previously spent in the United States to determine eligibility for admission as a visitor?

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) indicates that all nonimmigrant applicants seeking admission as B-2 visitors are required to satisfy the inspecting CBP Officer that they are entitled to the admission and classification that they seek, including proving that they maintain a foreign residence abroad that they have no intention of abandoning.

CBP and 180-day admission period for B-2 visitor

Question details

1. If an alien is otherwise admissible as a B-2 visitor for pleasure, isn't it true that a CBP officer should not limit the admission of that alien to 180 days in a twelve-month period?

2. Assuming an individual is otherwise eligible for admission, isn't it true that eligibility for admission as a visitor is determined by the nature and expected duration of the intended activity in the U.S.?

3. What is the training that is given to CBP officers to reinforce that B-2 visitors may lawfully be admitted for an aggregate period in excess of 180 days in a twelve-month period?

1. U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) indicates that, if an alien applicant is otherwise admissible as a B-2 visitor, and passport validity requirements are met, the applicant can be issued more than one 180-day admission period in a 12-month period.  

B-2 to B-1

Question details

I am an IT professional who has come to the US for medical treatment on a B2. I am getting better. Since I like to constantly upgrade my skills, I found some training programs that I could attend as they are more frequent in the US than in Canada. Can I attend them on a B2? I mean I have a B1/B2 visa, but the officer marked it as B2 on the stamp on my passport at the POE. Second - I also have got an offer for a one day lecture to some technology professionals for which I might get paid. How would the folks know I worked for a day if while exiting the country there is no checking?

I believe you can take training on B-2 as long as your main purpose of stay in USA is is still medical treatment. Getting paid may be a bad idea.

B-2 (Visitors or Tourist) visa Extensions for an investor and for a parent

We have received two interesting  B-2 extensions.  It has been my view that under certain circumstances  B-2 can and should be permitted by USCIS to be used even where the applicant has an immigrant intent or is otherwise staying longer than usual in USA.  Apparently, USCIS agrees.