USCIS FAQs

Was the Green Card approved in error? Time taken by the USCIS to respond to an E request for correction, travel?

Authored on: Fri, 09/23/2022 - 00:50

Question

Background:

1) PD - Initial Filing - EB2 MAR 2014 (Two Different EB2 filings with two different employers A and B)
3) Downgraded to EB3 with Employer B (New Petition but using the same EB2 PERM with Employer B) In Nov 2020, Filed I-485 Concurrently
3) Change to a different Full-Time AC21 - Same or Similar Role (Employer C) - Using AOS EAD
4) I-485 Got Approved in E26 Category (EB-2) before any I-485J submission whatsoever.
4) Initiated an inquiry with the Congressman to confirm this card is legitimate for usage and no errors / issues; still waiting on USCIS Response.
5) Spouse's I-485 also Got Approved about 2 weeks AFTER this inquiry was already sent over to USCIS (E27 Category).

Questions:

1) Suppose that a congressman's written response from USCIS comes back affirmative for legitimacy of the approvals quoting USCIS discretionary authority. There is also a recent trend of many such approved cases where the applicant had at least one prior approved EB-2 petition with PD current - so this situation does not seem to be unique any more.
Should we still then pursue USCIS E-Request / I-90 submission avenues from our side - would it really be worth to continue stretching this any further at that point ?

2) You had indicated that until notified otherwise, this LPR card can be used for Travel Purposes. Can it also be used to say take up a second week-end / part time job, renewal of driver's licenses etc. ?

3) If you use this card for any of the above purposes, and unfortunately USCIS response were to be negative, do you lose your status - have to do any reinstatement etc. particularly in the travel situation usage of LPR Card ?

4) Can you continue using your AOS EAD / AP instead during this seemingly weird time window, since that also is a USCIS-issued valid non-expired travel and work authorization ? In general, can you continue its usage until the expiry date, regardless of your I-485 status ?
 

Answer

Video URL

STEM extension denied based on approved H-1B pending for withdrawal at a USCIS service center

Authored on: Mon, 12/20/2021 - 09:15

Question

I am in the initial OPT which expires on November 30, 2021. My STEM extension has been denied based on an approved H-1B which has been pending for withdrawal at the Texas Service Center for the last five months. My current employer’s attorney raised the Ombudsman request on Oct 25, 2021 and I’ve taken a U.S. state senator's help to submit an inquiry on October 19, 2021. I have received no response so far from USCIS orthe online forums.  It seems it will  take 30 days to get a response at least from the Ombudsman and the case inquiry but I’m running out of time.  My previous employer's attorney is not willing to join a call with a Tier -2 officer and they're not helpful at all. My current employer is re-applying for my STEM OPT extension on November 24, 2021 with all the evidence possible but it's already past 60 days. I can't get a new I-20 because my SEVIS record is closed and they're not sure I'll get a favorable discretionary decision because my H-1B is still approved.

I am hoping the USCIS officer would show some discretion but from past experience I am afraid they will not. I am not really sure what to do here. I might end with a financial loss.  Please guide me with your suggestions.

 

Answer

Video URL

 

You have done everything that you can. But there are a couple of things I would suggest. The first thing I would suggest is that you talk to your DSO and explain to them the situation. Have them talk to the civic people and see if they can allow your service reinstatement based upon evidence of withdrawal or request for withdrawal. They may not be able to but it's worth a try.

The second thing you can do is try to reach the Tier-2 USCIS officer over the phone with your employer, manager, HR person or somebody from the office. Once you get to a Tier-2 officer, talk to them and explain the situation and ask them for a suggestion.

 

STEM extension application is pending with USCIS due to a USCIS error in failing to withdraw H-1

Authored on: Thu, 12/16/2021 - 08:46

Question

I am in the initial OPT which expires on November 30th, 2021. My STEM Extension has been denied based on approved H1-b which is pending withdrawal at the Texas Service Center for the last 6 months. My current employer’s attorney raised the Ombudsman request a week ago and I’ve taken Ohio senator's help to submit inquiry two weeks ago but no response so far from the USCIS and also from online forums it seems it’ll take 30 days to get a response at least but I’m running out of my time. My employer is reapplying for my STEM OPT in two weeks again.  Do I need to take any other steps to get this issue resolved?

Answer

Video URL