Extraordinary Ability FAQs

Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on immigration.com

Current Immigration/Visa Options for Entrepreneurs

Authored on: Thu, 10/12/2017 - 08:31


What are the requirements to get a visa and green card as an international entrepreneur? Is the start-up visa effective?


Watch the Video on this FAQ: Current immigration/visa options for entrepreneurs

Video Transcript

A few options for Entrepreneurial Visas:

You could come in on E visa, H visa, O visa or TN visa and eventually get a green card based upon various other options including EB-1A if you are extraordinary qualified individual or EB-5 if you are making the required amount of investment and creating the jobs necessary under the rule. 

You can also come in through L-1A if you have a foreign company you have worked outside for that company for at least one year as an executive or managerial employee, you can start a company or buy a company in the United States and transfer yourself or your key managerial employees or employee to the USA. L-1 is the fastest way of getting a green card because L-1 is potentially processed within a few weeks because you can file premium processing and once you are in the USA you can file a EB-1 based green card which will get you seen through the process normally within a year, sometimes as little as three to five months. More ...

Note: This is a verbatim transcript of the referenced audio/video media delivered as oral communication, and, therefore, may not conform to written grammatical or syntactical form.

Impact of the new I-140 regulations

Authored on: Thu, 03/16/2017 - 07:18


My I-140 approved (India/EB2) from Employer A in June 2015, I joined Employer B in Oct 2016. Employer A sent revocation of my I-140, on USCIS website today is showing below status: "On December 7, 2016, we received your correspondence for Form I-140 ..." Will I still be eligible for 3 years of multiple H-1 extension with my approved I-140 from employer A without filing new I-140?


Watch the Video on this FAQ: Impact of the new I-140 regulations

Video Transcript:

Your revocation of the I-140 is occurring from December 7 which is before January 17 where you would have been protected. I am worried that in your case if there was a revocation you will not be allowed for multiple H-1 extensions based upon an I-140 that has been revoked. If the revocation was from January 17 onwards you would be fine, but if it is before January 17 you will no longer have the right to keep getting H-1 extensions if the employer revokes your I-140. That was the old law. More...


Note: This is a verbatim transcript of the referenced audio/video media delivered as oral communication, and, therefore, may not conform to written grammatical or syntactical form.

Writ of Mandamus against delay

Authored on: Mon, 11/16/2015 - 06:45


I am currently pending I-485 (EB3, skilled worker employment based, priority date Oct 2008) since April 2014. I submitted inquiries through congressman, they received a letter that my case is on hold indefinitely. Do you recommend filing Writ of Mandamus or would that cause a denial? What other actions can I take, I've submitted a case through the Ombudsman and met with a USCIS officer through Infopass appointment (who told me nothing). No RFEs have been issued for this case, I-140 was approved and fingerprinting done (twice, since first set expired).


See clip from Attorney Rajiv S. Khanna's conference call video that addresses this question.


FAQ Transcript:

Writ is simply order of the court or a formal order.

Mandamus is to ask the government to do something, which it is legally obliged to do. It is important to understand what the court can and cannot do. First of all the court has to decide whether your case has taken too long unreasonably long to the extent where the delay itself becomes unreasonable. So very difficult thing to prove, depends upon the court. There is a ruling I remember litigating this issue very vigorously in Washington D.C. and one of the cases that was against us was a case from  Board of Indian Appeal that's what they called BIA not to be confused with Board of Immigration Appeal but Board of Indian Appeal . 

Usually if a group of people want to be declared Indian Tribe because if you are an Indian Tribe one of the things you can do is have unique rights within your own area such as opening a Casino. They had a determination pending for over ten years and court said that is not unreasonable.

So first hurdle is to actually be able to prove, of course before that there is hurdle of legal fees, it can be quite expensive to litigate an issue. Second hurdle is proving that delays are unreasonable, unreasonable according to what. The government processing times are merely guesses; they don't give us a right. The third thing which is also important, court cannot ask the government to decide  I-485 in your favor, they can only make government  act, whether the action is Yes, No or RFE. 

And my final point is something I find very odd, I never  believed to be possible until I saw it happened to  myself. The government behaves like a spoilt child because they have lost the case they can send you 30 page RFE requesting information that you would not believe could even be asked.

So because the court cannot tell the government to decide the case in your favor, they can only order the case to be decided Yes or No. You could end up creating more issues. The Freedom of Information Act usually does not help in these cases much. 

So keeping in view all these things personally my approach is very simple I tell people, are you at the point where you are so sick and tired that you either want a yes so you can get your Green card and stay in this country or get Naturalization whatever the benefit is or get a No and just leave, one way or the other. Once you come to that point that's when I want to litigate. Again it also depends upon the circuit, you know that in USA there are different Judicial circuits on the Federal level. So some circuits are more open to certain issues, some circuits are not open. We have to look at the law of the circuit also.              

EB1 Extraordinary ability

Authored on: Fri, 11/06/2009 - 01:11


I filed my EB1 and EB2 NIW together, EB1 was denied but EB2 NIW was approved. I refiled EB1. I am a physician at one of top university , with many publications, presentations and offers from top league universities. There are only 12 people in the whole US that do same thing as I do in my clinical speciality. However I do not have any awards. What are the chances that my second filing of EB1 may go through.


Impossible to answer, Doc. This is like diagnosing a patient without access to the patient or his records. Impossible for me to say. I do not know your case.