I moved to the USA to pursue my Master's in IT. Unfortunately, I have recently been affected by mass layoffs in the tech industry, leaving me with only 30 days to extend my stay in the country to address household responsibilities and potentially secure a full-time job.
I have researched a few options for extending my stay and would greatly appreciate your guidance on these alternatives:
1) Apply for a B2 visa promptly: This option would allow me to remain in the country for an additional six months (until July or August) and continue my job search.
2) Enroll in a community college and obtain an I-20: Many community colleges do not require GRE or TOEFL scores, and their Fall semester usually begins in mid-August. This cost-effective choice would give me time until December, and I could transfer any earned credits to a university if needed.
3) If more time is required, I could join a university in the Spring semester and transfer my community college credits. However, I understand that applying for an MS or PhD program would necessitate a direct application to the university.
Hello, I have been laid off from Amazon, and I am unemployed since March-20, I got one offer from another company, and they did my immigration assessment, they told me that I do not have enough time and its difficult to ensure that I will not go out of status within this time saying that they have rejected my application. If I just file LCA my unemployment days will stop, or they will have to file my H1B change petition only then will I be able to save my status. Also, will I get 60 days grace period for each H1B petition?
Filing an LCA is not enough. In order to stop the running of the 60-days grace period and to start working, your H-1B transfer petition must be received by the USCIS within the grace period.
The grace period is not a one-shot deal. You will get it whenever you are in the layoff/cessation of employment situation again.
I got my H1B visa approval recently and I have got my stamping date in May. My company is going through a bad phase financially and has had 2 layoffs (might do another layoff in next few months) I go to India for stamping and get laid off before getting my visa stamped (Can I come back to the US with 60 days left? Can I get my visa stamped if my company pays me for another month or so considering that my last day is a month later? Can I get my visa stamped even if my last day has passed)I go to India for stamping and get laid off after getting my visa stamped (can I come to US and do my job search) If I get laid off while in India but have an offer letter from another company (H1B transfer done/ transfer to be done after returning to US)
Given the current situation with tech layoffs, I wanted to understand the options available for people in my situation.
I’m currently working in the US on H-1B and my GC application (I-485) with PD July 2014 and 485 is in “Case remains pending”.
I have 485 EAD approved till 2024 and Advanced Parole is still pending.
Now if someone switches to EAD and their date becomes current before they can find a job. What are their options?
Also, do we have any info on what the status “Case Remains Pending” means?
I have been laid off by my current employer, with severance paycheck coming at regular pay intervals until mid January-2016. Finding a new employment is taking time. I am on H-1B which first started on October 01, 2013, latest I-797 valid until December 2017.
1. How long do I legally have, before I become unauthorized to stay? What constitutes as unlawful presence?
2. My I-94 admission validity is until October 2016; with no employment, does this mean anything?
3. Before I transition into a new H-1B, can I travel outside and into the country, without a Change of Status? Can I use severance pay checks if asked, for entry purposes?
4. Can I use my severance pay stubs as pay stubs when my next employer applies for new H-1B?
5. I am hesitating to inform my next employer about my termination, thinking that this may impact my hiring decision or my ability to negotiate. But not indicating terminated employment, is it possible that my H1B transfer or new petition may be considered unethical?
6. In your experience, how long does the USCIS take to update a revoked H-1B petition in their systems?
7. If my new employer files for H-1B transfer before the update but with pay stubs older than 30 days, do I have to mandatory leave the country for new H-1B stamping before starting to work?
8. If such is the case, is it best to change to a B-2 status and have my next employer apply for new H-1B? If yes, I would assume that I will be cap exempt until September 30, 2019 plus the days spent on B2; would this be a fair assumption.
9. Can my employer continue to pay severance checks when I am on B-2 status?
10. What happens if my new employer applies for H-1B transfer with severance paychecks, after USCIS has updated their records?
11. In your experience, what gap in unemployment is generally ignored by USCIS when filing for new H-1B or transferring new H-1B?
12. What other words of wisdom do you have for me?