Green Card through Children FAQs

Monday, January 23, 2023 - 04:40

US Citizen child living in India applying for parents' green card at the age of 21


My cousin’s family relocated to India from the US. They have a US-born daughter who is a US citizen.
Now the daughter wants to come back and study for a bachelor's in the US. Once she turns 21, can she sponsor the Green Card for her parents? If so, I would like to know details about the process and timeline involved.


Video URL

Thursday, November 3, 2022 - 05:29

Parents staying in or traveling to the U.S. while their green card petition is pending


Would there be any issues with parents reentering the country after filing for GC application? Say the parents entered the US on a B1/B2 visa but applied for GC while they were visiting (not for the first time). They were going to file for it once they were back in the home country anyway, but decided to submit the application now than at a later date due to some health situation that came up during the visit.

Are there chances of the application being denied/or will the parents not be allowed to reenter the country because there have been some medical emergency that happened during the visit? Should those factors need to be addressed before exiting the country before the 6 months stay time is up? And would it still be a problem if that has been addressed with the provider, given it will all be in the history file now? Would there be some state assistance that anyone can get some help with in terms of financial and patient well-being and all?


Video URL

Wednesday, October 26, 2022 - 04:21

Concerns and issues while parents are traveling to India with Advance Parole while waiting for the Green Card


I am a U.S. citizen and I had applied for a green card for my parents and they were in the USA and now they have received their Advance Parole.

1. When our parents have Advance Parole, is there any special process to leave the U.S.?

2. Do we need to inform the airline staff during their check in process?

3. Even though Advance Parole documents specify that parole is valid for one year, is there any advisable timeline they could stay in India on Advance Parole?

4. What is the process for entering the USA on Advance Parole besides showing their parole documents to the CBP (Customs and Border Protection) officer at the airport?

5. Any instructions or guidelines for using Advance Parole?

6. What if their Green card gets approved while they are in India?


1. The answer is No.

2. No. There is no special procedure for leaving the United States.

3. There is no limit to their time. The only limitation is if they are scheduled for an interview they should plan on returning on a short notice.

4. You just need to show your Advance Parole and passport.

5. There are no  instructions, other than the fact they should be ready to come back when needed. If they schedule an interview we try to get the interview waived. If they do not waive the interview, the interview can be rescheduled and it is a valid ground for rescheduling if they are outside the United States.

6. If somebody is on Advance Parole and their Green card gets approved, they should board the flight using the Advance Parole. When they arrive at the airport in the United States the CBP (Customs and Border Protection) officer should admit them as Green card holders. If that does not happen then they usually let them in on Advance Parole.

Friday, June 23, 2017 - 06:48

GC Holder Sponsoring Parents


1. I am Green card holder, can I sponsor my mom for dependent visa, she is in India?<br>
2. Is there any time limit for which extension to be provided?


1. You have to be a US citizen to sponsor her Green card. For Green Card holders as I recall the only family other than the children and wife they can sponsor is unmarried adult children over 21 but unmarried you can apply for their Green Card. Once you become US citizen your possible beneficiaries can be larger including your parents. There is little-known provision that is sometimes used, use it if it's necessary when let say your parents they don't have anybody in India to take care of them. We have been able to extend their tourist visa in those cases, stay in tourist visa even though you are on Green card we can try to make an argument that there is nobody in India to take care of them. This provision is not very clear cut in cases of holders of Green Card but believe it or not if you are on non-immigrant visa like student or H-1 visa or O-1 or B-1 any of those visas or L-1, you actually have more rights to bring your parents here. The reason being that there are certain categories of visas where people are not directly dependent and you cannot sponsor them for derivative visas but government recognizes that we will give you an extension of tourist visas. So if you are here on H-1 and you wanted to bring your mother here because she is alone in India, you could actually do her because she can't get her H-4 being your mother, she can still get B-1 or B-2 which can be extended because she is recognized or covered under those situations. However, Green card holders they don't have same privilege but you can be able to get their extension sometimes. It's not the full proof method for me wait until you get naturalization. Once you are naturalized, your parents can be here within a year on a Green Card.

2. I have done it repeatedly, every six months we have to do it, there are some people who are in 3rd, 4th or 5th year we are doing repeatedly for them. But it's not or no means it should be taken as given or guaranteed rule. 

Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 12:30

US Citizen applying for Green Card for visiting family member (spouse/parents); Birth and Marriage Certificate Issues


I am a US citizen and would like to sponsor green card for my parents once they arrive here. I have couple of questions related to that. 1) My mother’s birth certificate contains name before marriage, is this going to be an issue? Her passport contains her name after marriage. Her mother and father expired long time back, and she is the eldest daughter. 2) My parents does not have marriage certificate with them what are the options. They cannot go their original place to get the marriage certificate 3) My father does not have birth certificate but has College degree/certificates mentioning his date of birth. Will this suffice the requirement, if not what are the options he has? Again he is not in a position to go to his birth place nor is he in position to take help from his elders to give affidavit for him. His mother and father passed away long time back.


See clip from Attorney Rajiv S. Khanna's conference call video that addresses this question.


Video URL


FAQ Transcript:

This is one thing very common in many cases. The issue of applying for a green card, when you are visiting on a tourist visa or even converting a tourist visa to H-1, L-1 and student visa is always a problem.

When you try to do that the government can bring the issue that when you entered USA on a tourist visa it was your intention to convert to a long term status which is illegal according to the government. There is actually a 30 - 60 day rule which says if you enter on a tourist visa and you changed to a longer term visa and status within 30 days of entry, will presume it that you had a preconceived intention to do so. That can be considered to be a fraud and if you’re not able to rebut that fraud presumption that can become a permanent bar from entering the USA.

So if you try to change statuses in 30 days of entry and if you do it within 60 days they can still question it but there is no automatic presumption. If you do after 60 days they may not question. But remember even if you try to change status after 60 days you can be questioned by USCIS, CBP or even consulates about your intention. So when your parents are visiting it is important that they don’t have an intention to apply for a green card when they enter on a tourist visa. If after staying here for 3-5 months it so happens that their intention changes I don’t see any problem with that. Remember you the child, you the son or the daughter what your intentions is I do not care but your parents should not have the intention to convert into green card. If they arrived with the preconceived intention to change to green card they can have a problem. So don’t let them have that intention. After a few months if they are living here and you are able to convince them to file their green card then I think that’s ok.

As for the question regarding birth certificate it should not be an issue because having the maiden name is common in USA as well as India. That should be ok even though her passport contains her married name and her birth certificate contains her maiden name. Under Indian laws - under Hindu Marriage Act you are not required to have any marriage certificates when you are going through a religious marriage. It only has to comply with the laws of that religion. Having a marriage certificate under religious laws is not required.

Regarding marriage certification you can get affidavits from two people who attended the marriage. 

As for the question about your father not having a birth certificate you do need to get a certificate of non availability from the place he was born. There is no particular format to the certificate of non availability. All it has to say is that they have looked at the records. When you have that you can get affidavits of two people who were alive when you father was born. So certificate of non availability combined with two affidavits will be required.

Monday, September 19, 2011 - 05:54

Green Card and last name


I am a US citizen turning 21 next month. Can I sponsor my dad to get a green card even if I am not holding his last name?


Yes you can. Having the same last name is not required.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 - 15:52

Last name in Passport and GC processing


I am filing GC for my mother who is in US on visitor visa & her I-94 got extended for another 6 months. She never used her surname on her Indian passport? What should I mention in the last Name on I-130 & rest of the forms (I-485).Should I mention NA or not used or leave them blank?


You have several choices, including "No Last Name Used." If she wishes to use some other name, including adding a last name, now would be a good time to do it.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 - 23:26

Can my daughter sponser me?


My daughter she's going to be 21 next year and she's an American citizen, can she sponsor me?


She can sponsor you for your green card upon turning 21.