Entering the USA on B-1/B-2 visa to get married

My brother in law has got Green Card on November 2013 from Parents based. He will be getting engaged this year April 2017 in the USA with a girl who is Indian Citizen. She has B1/B2 visitor visa. So I have couple questions. If she comes to the USA and gets married here in the USA and my brother in law will fill petitioned for F2A category (on Green Card based) then will she face any issues in future while coming to the USA on B1/B2 visa?

Printer-friendly versionPDF version

Watch the Video on this FAQ: Entering the USA on B-1/B-2 visa to get married

Video Transcript

It is a bad idea for a bunch of reasons. The better option would be where she can apply for an F-1 visa now, especially if she has been to the USA and gone back before. Her chances of getting an F-1 is good. If they have not been formally engaged then there is a question I think in the DS-160 during the student visa which asks: is your fiance is in the USA and I don't think if you are not engaged you can say yes to that question so I think she will be ok. Her chances of getting a student visa will be good because she has been to the USA before on a tourist visa. She must enter as a bona fide good faith student. She must want to go to school. After a semester or two, if they want to get married, I think that is ok. She can continue as a student while she waits out her GC category. That is the only smart scenario I see. More...

Note: This is a verbatim transcript of the referenced audio/video media delivered as oral communication, and, therefore, may not conform to written grammatical or syntactical form.

Unless the context shows otherwise, all answers here were provided by Rajiv and were compiled and reported by our editorial team from comments and blog on immigration.com

Add new comment