Obtaining copies of approval notice and other documents through FOIA

Question details

1. My employer filed my I-140 and it was approved. They refused to provide me the approval notice but through InfoPass I was able to get my receipt number and Alien #. To port my priority date, I would like to request USCIS for the duplicate copy of I-140 approval notice.<br>
2. Is it possible to request USCIS a duplicate copy of my I-140 approval notice using either G-639 (FOIA) or I-824 (Action on an approved application or petition) or any other method as I have my receipt#?


See clip from Attorney Rajiv S. Khanna's conference call video that addresses this question. 


FAQ Transcript

Answer 1. People typically file a FOIA request. File the Form G-639 (Form G-639 - USCIS).  Often you get copies of all kinds of documents. Government gives you copies of documents they have on you. It is not consistent but people have got copies of their 140 approval notices, copies of their H-1 approval notices, the entire perm package. So it is worth filing a FOIA and it doesn’t cost you anything. It can take a little bit of time a couple of months maybe three months but do file it if you don’t have documentation. You can port the Priority Date with your alien number itself and receipt number as well. It should not need a I-140 approval notice. Remember the government has that information already. They don’t specifically need it from you. 

Answer 2. By all means file the form. File G-639 and not I-824. File G-639 and let’s see what they give you.

Immigration Law

Add new comment

Filtered HTML

  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a href hreflang> <p> <h2 id> <h3 id> <h4 id> <h5 id> <h6 id> <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul type> <ol start type> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd><style> <drupal-entity data-*>