Reentry permit is it recommended?

Question details

My spouse and I am legal permanent resident here in the US for more than 3 years now. We are planning to travel back to India in early December this year and my wife tentatively plans to stay back in India for close to 3-8 months. I am planning to return back after 3 months. In such situation, is it advisable to file re-entry permit (I-131) for her. Also should I get an attorney if I have to file or can I do it on my own?


If you are not abandoning your permanent residence in USA (keeping your home, job, etc.), I see no need for a reentry permit for a three-month trip. She should apply and through counsel.

Add new comment

Filtered HTML

  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a href hreflang> <p> <h2 id> <h3 id> <h4 id> <h5 id> <h6 id> <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul type> <ol start type> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd><style> <drupal-entity data-*>